Close Menu

Do You Have #Fibromyalgia? Here Is How To Prove #Disability And Win Social Security #Benefits

While Fibromyalgia was officially recognized by the Social Security Administration as a qualifying condition for Social Security Disability Benefits in July 2012, many people still don’t know what is needed in order to document this impairment as a disability.

The SSA will consider your Fibromyalgia as a disabling condition if your medical records contain the following information:
A history of widespread pain that lasts for at least three months. The pain may fluctuate in
intensity and may not always be present.
Evidence that other disorders that could cause the same symptoms have been excluded;
One of the following:
At least 11 tender points on physical examination OR

  • Repeated manifestations of six or more fibromyalgia symptoms


  • fatigue cognitive or memory problems (often called “fibro fog”)
  • waking unrefreshed
  • depression
  • anxiety disorder
  • irritable bowel syndrome
  • muscle pain
  • muscle weakness
  • headache pain or cramps in the abdomen
  • Raynaud’s phenomenon
  • hives or welts
  • blurred vision
  • fever
  • heartburn
  • oral ulcers
  • loss of taste or change in taste
  • seizures
  • dry eyes
  • shortness of breath
  • loss of appetite
  • rash
  • sun sensitivity
  • hearing difficulties
  • easy bruising
  • hair loss
  • frequent urination or bladder spasms

If you have Fibromyalgia and are not able to work, you can #apply for Social Security Disability benefits, but it will increase your chances of winning disability benefits if your treating physician has documented the above symptoms in your medical record. It is also helpful if you can find a physician or rheumatologist who specializes in treating Fibromyalgia. If you have further questions about applying for disability benefits, contact Cannon Disability Law.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Form Tab

Quick Contact Form