Close Menu



Conversion disorder is a mental condition in which people experience neurological symptoms, but doctors cannot find the reason for the symptoms. The symptoms often present as physical problems. For example, you could have issues with motor function, sensory perception, or even seizures. The term “conversion” is used to describe the process by which emotional or mental issues turn into physical symptoms.

If you have a conversion disorder, then there are two types of benefits you can file for under the Social Security program:  Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. In order to receive benefits, you must file an application. You can do this online on the Social Security’s website.

conversion disorder word or concept represented by black and white letter cubes on a grey horizon background stretching to infinity


Below, please find an explanation as to each type of benefit you can apply for if you have a severe medical condition that prevent you from working for over one year:

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI):  

SSDI benefits are for those who have worked in the recent past and can no longer work at any job due to a medical condition. The amount of money you will receive from SSDI benefits every month is based on the Social Security tax you paid during your work history. To qualify for SSDI, you must have earned enough “work credits.”  A work credit is an amount of taxable income. You can earn up to 4 work credits per year, as there are 4 quarters in a year. The amount of work credits you will need will depend on how old you are when you apply. If you haven’t earned enough work credits for your age at the time you apply, you can only apply for Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI):  

SSI is needs based program for those people with very little income, such as children and the elderly. Anyone who makes more than a certain amount of money per month cannot file for SSI benefits.  As an adult, if you are married and are filing an SSI application for conversion disorder, the income of your spouse will determine whether you can be paid benefits.  You cannot qualify for SSI benefits, no matter how severe your medical condition, if you do not meet the income and asset rules of the program.


Conversion disorder can present with a wide range of symptoms. For example, symptoms can include weakness or paralysis in specific body parts, trouble speaking, suddenly becoming blind or deaf, tremors and seizure episodes. These symptoms often do not conform to the patterns seen in known neurological diseases and may change over time. Below please find some examples of symptoms that can occur in conversion disorder:


    • Weakness or paralysis in specific body parts, like limbs or facial muscles
    • Being unable to walk or having problems with balance
    • Tremors
    • Trouble swallowing or speaking
    • Unexplained gait problems


      • Loss of sensation in specific body parts
      • Blindness or visual loss (without actual vision loss)
      • Deafness or hearing loss (without actual hearing loss)
      • Altered sense of touch or temperature


    • Episodes that are like seizures (known as pseudoseizures)
    • Uncontrolled movements without the patterns seen on EEG


    • Abnormal movements that do not follow a typical pattern. This can include tremors, dystonia, and myoclonus. Dystonia is a nervous system problem that causes severe muscle contractions. The contractions cause the body to twist or get stuck in a painful position. Myoclonus is brief twitch or jerk of the body. You may have felt this type of jerk or twitch right before you fall into a deep sleep.

Additionally, the symptoms from this condition are not usually found in other medical diseases. For example, symptoms may change over time or show unusual patterns. Also, they may not conform to the expected medical symptoms. However, it is important to note that the symptoms of this condition are not fake. The people who are experiencing physical symptoms believe their symptoms are real.


  1. Psychological Factors: Conversion disorder is believed to be closely linked to mental and emotional factors. The symptoms may serve as a way for the individual to express or cope with mental issues. It is thought that the mind turns emotional distress into physical symptoms, often in an unconscious manner.
  2. Triggers: The symptoms can be caused by trauma. Also, emotional conflicts or life transitions can create the symptoms. The symptoms may emerge shortly after the event or have a delayed onset. For example, perhaps you were abused as a child and never had therapy for it. It is possible to develop this condition as a result of the abuse you experienced.
  3. Diagnosis: Diagnosing this condition requires an exam from a doctor. Normally, the doctor is a psychiatrist. Your doctor must rule out other possible medical conditions that could account for the symptoms. Your doctor will look for the presence of certain symptoms and the absence of other mental factors.


The main treatment for conversion disorder is talk therapy. Therapy focuses on the mental and emotional factors that bring about the symptoms. Providing an understanding environment is crucial in the treatment of this condition. For example, this includes communication and support in dealing with stress and emotional issues.

Here are some common treatments for conversion disorder:

  • Psychotherapy:
    • Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT helps people identify and change thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors related to symptoms. It can also develop your ability to cope with stress and conflict.
    • Psychodynamic Therapy: Psychodynamic therapy looks at the unconscious conflicts and emotions that may be causing the symptoms. It hopes to increase insight, resolve conflicts, and improve mental issues.
    • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): EMDR is a therapy used for people who have experienced trauma. The therapy helps process memories and reduces symptoms.
  • Physical Therapy:
    • Physical therapy can help people with conversion disorder. This is especially true when motor symptoms are present. Physical therapy can give you specific exercise that helps improve physical function and regain strength and balance.
  • Medication:
    • Medications are not usually the main treatment for conversion disorder. However, in some cases, if there are other mental conditions such as anxiety, medication may help those symptoms. The choice of medications depends on your specific needs and the judgment of your doctor.

It’s important to note that the treatment approach may vary based on the needs and symptoms of the person with the condition. The length of treatment can also vary, ranging from several weeks to months or longer.


The outcome for those with conversion disorder depends on the symptoms. Some people experience a resolution of their symptoms over time. While others require ongoing management and treatment of their symptoms. Factors such as how severe the symptoms are, the presence of other mental conditions, and the desire to engage in therapy can influence the outcome of the condition.


12.07 – Somatic symptoms and related conditions, satisfied by A and B:

  1. Medical records of one or more of the following:
    1. Symptoms of altered voluntary motor or sensory function that are not better explained by another medical or mental condition;
    2. One or more somatic symptoms that are distressing, with thoughts, feelings, or behaviors related to the symptoms; or
    3. Preoccupation with having a serious illness without significant symptoms present.


  • Extreme limitation of one, or marked limitation of two, of the following areas of mental function:
  • Understand, remember, or apply information.
  • Interact with others.
  • Concentrate, persist, or maintain pace.
  • Adapt or manage oneself.

All elements of listing 12.07 must be shown in your medical records. The medical record must also show that your condition will last longer than 12 months for you to be paid benefits.


Even if you don’t meet or equal listing 12.07, then you can still win benefits if your medical condition impairs your RFC. Your RFC is SSA’s finding of what you can physically do in a work setting, considering your symptoms.

Your RFC includes your physical limits. In terms of physical limits, the SSA tries to define your ability to sit, stand, walk, and lift, during the course of an 8 hour workday. Likewise, the SSA will include your ability to carry, pull, and push. It includes your ability to kneel, crouch, crawl, and go up and down stairs. Also, the SSA will consider your fatigue from doing activities. Find out more about how the SSA defines work. A limited RFC proves you cannot work.

In order to figure out your physical RFC, the SSA will read your medical records. They will take into account what your doctor says about you in your medical records. Additionally, the SSA has their own doctors that can review your medical records. These doctors work for DDS, the state agency who reviews all SSD cases. The SSA will take the medical opinion of these doctors into account too. Likewise, if they need more information, then they may send you to a medical exam at their expense. Learn more here about what to expect at SSA’s doctor exam.



We can’t stress enough how much the SSA relies on your medical history in order to pay you benefits. Your medical records need to include the diagnosis of conversion disorder. Additionally, your records should include records of treatment and medications, any hospital visits, and a description of your symptoms. Read here about how to build medical record evidence.


Conversion disorder can affect your ability to understand, remember, and apply information. Likewise, your ability to concentrate and sustain a steady work pace can get worse as your mental health gets worse. If you need help getting treatment for your condition, we have free medical sources on our website. For example, you can find free medical resources in Utah.

Your ability to complete mental activities at work can be determined through a mental health testing. You can obtain one by paying for it. Additionally, it is possible to have the SSA send you for a mental exam paid for by the SSA. The mental aspects of your disease are important to your case and must be part of the record.


SSA will have specific questions for your doctors that will help them understand the your mental symptoms. It is important your doctor writes about how your condition effects your ability to work. We can help you provide specific forms to your doctor for him or her to complete. These forms document your physical and mental symptoms for the SSA.


When you first apply for benefits, you should include a copy of your medical records with your application. The burden of proving you should be paid benefits is on you. This is true even if Social Security collects a copy of your medical records. Many times, the SSA does not collect all of your records. Instead, they may only collect records that go back to the time that you claim you could no longer work. Your medical condition may have a much longer history. Therefore, it is important to collect all of your records.

If you do not have medical evidence of your conversion disorder, the SSA will deny your claim. Medical records for your medical condition can be difficult to obtain if you do not have insurance. On this website we have lists of free and low cost medical clinics where you can go and get treatment. For example, we have a list of free and low cost health resources in Utah. We have a similar list for free medical health resources for Nevada.

If you need help getting your records or finding a doctor, then contact our law firm. We are experts in getting medical records. Also, we can use our resources to help you find free or low cost medical care. Learn more here about what you need from your doctor to prove your SSD case. Remember, you cannot win benefits without evidence and medical records are the evidence the SSA requires you to submit as proof that you deserve benefits. Under SSA’s rules, you must submit all evidence into the record at 5 days prior to your hearing. Learn more about the 5 day evidence rule.


If you have conversion disorder, then you need help to apply for Social Security benefits. You can always call our law firm and we will help you. We can help you file your application. Also, we can help you appeal every SSA denial. For example, our attorneys and staff can:

If you file your application for benefits online at Social Security’s website, then you have 6 months to complete the application. Once you submit your application online, the SSA sends you an application summary in the mail. You must sign the summary and mail it back. If you don’t send it back, the SSA will not process your application. Sign it and send it back as soon as you can.


If you need help filing for SSDI and SSI benefits for conversion disorder, then reach out to our law firm. Taking the first step by calling us. All you need to do is contact our legal team.

Additionally, we offer a free review of your case. What that means is that you can call us and explain your situation. At that point, we will look at the merits of your case for free and let you know if you have a chance to win benefits. We do not charge you for our review of your case.

In the past 30 years, we have won over $100 million in SSDI and SSI benefits for our clients. We are experts at what we do and we will put our knowledge to work for you. Hire us to be your Social Security legal team.

We help clients win benefits in many states, including Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and California. Find out more about your benefits and how to apply in your state here:

No matter where you live, we want to be your legal team. Hire the best Social Security legal team with no money down. Also, there will be no attorney fee unless we win your case. Contact us today.


No. We are not expensive, because we only charge you an attorney fee if we win your case.

It also doesn’t cost you any money to hire us. Why? Because you only pay us an attorney fee if we win your case.  If we win, you pay us out of your back benefits. If you do not win, you do not pay an attorney fee. How much is the fee? It is 25% of your back benefit.

Also, there is a fee cap set at $7200 by the SSA. You never pay more than the fee cap at the hearing stage of your case. And, 25% of your back benefit is usually less than the $7200 cap. You will pay the lesser amount between the fee cap and 25% of your back benefit.

If there are costs in your case, like getting medical records, then you pay for those costs. But the costs are usually less than $100. Typically, if a doctor charges for copies of your medical records, then that is your cost.

You will owe the costs in your case whether we win or lose your case. However, your attorney fees come from your back benefit and you pay them only if we win your case.

We will use our skills to help you through the Social Security appeal process. It is our goal to make filing for SSD and SSI benefits easier for you. We offer a free review of your case for burn injuries. There is no pressure to become a client if you call. Even if we don’t accept your case, we will still try to help you.


If you have a conversion disorder, then you need to hire a law firm with experience to help you win your benefits. Our law firm is one of the best Social Security law firms in the country. We are known as one of the best Social Security benefits firm in Las Vegas, Nevada. Also, we are one of the best Social Security law firms in Salt Lake City, Utah.

You can learn more about Utah SSD benefits. Nevada SSI Information can also be found on this website. We also represent clients in Idaho. Find out more about Colorado SSDI benefits. Likewise, if you are from California, then it is important to learn more about California SSD & SSI benefits.

Over the last 30 years, we have won thousands of SSDI and SSI claims. Additionally, we have won over $100 million in SSD and SSI benefits for our clients. It has become more difficult to win Social Security cases. Also, SSA’s listing rules are harder to meet. That is why you need an attorney who will help you win your case.

We recommend you do not go to your hearing without an attorney. Why? Because a lawyer can prepare you for your hearing. She can explain the judge’s questions. Preparation will help you win your case.

Those who come to the hearing without counsel are usually not successful in winning benefits. You should hire an attorney who has legal experience winning SSD and SSI cases for burn injuries. Contact Cannon Disability Law today. We can help you win benefits for conversion disorder. Contact us today for your free review of your case.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Form Tab

Quick Contact Form